There's something inherently joyful about biting into a sausage roll that's fresh and warm from the oven. And trust us when we tell you - these bite sized beauties by Alex at @_snacksandsnaps will not disappoint!
Want to make this recipe veggie or vegan? Simply switch out the pork sausage for your preferred alternative, use a flax egg in place of the egg and opt for a vegan butter alternative.
We suggest prepping these in advance and doubling the ingredients, because they're not going to hang around for long...
Ingredients (Makes 8)
6 higher welfare sausages, squeezed out of the skin
- 250g NKD Living Almond Flour
- Dash of red wine
- Pinch of sage
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- Salt & pepper to season
- 1 tsp NKD Living Erythritol Gold
- Handful of sesame seeds
- Chia seeds
- 250g butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp NKD Living MCT Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line 1-2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- To make the pastry: Sift the almond flour and add a tsp of sea salt in a large bowl. Break the butter into little chunks, rubbing them into the flour loosely so you can still see bits of butter.
- Make a well in the bowl of flour and add a quarter cup of water, mixing well until you have a firm dough (adding more water little by little if needed). Leave to rest in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Remove from the bowl onto a floured work surface and knead the dough, working it for a few minutes before stretching it out into a even rectangle.
- Roll the dough until it seems to have tripled in width. Fold each side into the centre and roll out again until it seems to have tripled in length again. Return to the fridge and chill for another 20 mins before rolling for use.
For the filling:
- Add your sliced onions to a warm frying pan with the MCT Oil and allow to soften.
- Once softened, add a splash of red wine and allow to burn off the alcohol and coat the onions.
- Once the wine has reduced, add the NKD Living Erythritol Gold and caramelise the onions. Put to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the pork sausage meat, season with salt and pepper and sage and mix well. Add the caramelised onions to the mixture and use your hands to stir into the mix.
- Remove your pastry from the fridge and roll it into a rectangle. Along one of the long sides of the pastry sheet, spoon the pork mixture along the edge from one side to another. (Be careful not to add too much mixture so that you can still roll them up neatly!)
- Roll the pastry sheet over the mixture and continue to roll until you get to the end of the sheet. Using a fork, push down on the overlapped edges so that they combine and you can’t see the seam.
- Brush the whisked egg over the top of the sausage roll and sprinkle the tops with the sesame seeds and chia seeds.
- Slice into your desired size, place on your baking tray and put into the oven for 30 mins (until the top of the rolls are golden brown). Once cooked, take out, allow to cool and enjoy!
*tip, before brushing the rolls with the egg, turn your rolls upside down so that the seam of the pastry is at the bottom. This is so that when you put them in the oven, they can’t unfold whilst baking.